Cloud and Hosting
Salient CRGT has a strong history of delivering hosting solutions to federal customers, including FISMA High-rated managed services. With the advent of commercial cloud services, we help our customers focus on preparing for and migrating to massively scalable environments.
Case Study: Application Hosting Services
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is the United States government’s principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services. HHS works closely with state and local governments, and many HHS-funded services are provided at the local level by state or county agencies. In addition to the services they deliver, the HHS programs provide for equitable treatment of beneficiaries nationwide, and they enable the collection of national health and other data.
HHS IT provides support to approximately 65,000 customers (employees and contractor support staff). HHS sought innovative solutions to host and manage the business applications. Some of HHS’ objectives were to achieve the following:
- High performance through improvements that minimize downtime, server lag and latency, connectivity issues, and network outages
- Continuous improvement and innovation to improve customer satisfaction, reduce cost and increase operational maturity
- Flexibility, adaptability and responsiveness to changing HHS needs, emerging security threats and reliability during emergencies
- Achieving low cost and low risk through centralization of physical server requirements through virtualization
As part of our seven year contract with HHS, Salient CRGT provides a range of services:
- Design, Build-Out, and Security of Data Center: Salient CRGT assisted with the design and build out of a state-of-the-art Managed Application Hosting Center (MAHC) facility. Salient CRGT received 3-year authority to operate the data center through the Certification & Accreditation (C&A) Program. The C&A Program consists of six distinct phases to form a continuous security management practice. To manage the C&A Program effectively, individual tasks, responsibilities, and expectations are defined within each phase.
- Solution Engineering for New and Legacy Systems Including Virtualization into a Secure Private Cloud: The application hosting approach that Salient CRGT executes offers flexibility to application users. HHS customer can select from a service menu to create the best support package for their needs. The basic “bronze” service level includes physical hosting of the applications and virtual hosting in a Private or a Public Cloud. The “platinum” service level provides fully hosted application services with up to 10 owner identified Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- On-going Application Support: In addition to the basic and tiered hosting services, Salient CRGT offers a range of “add-on” services to complement the user hosting solutions, including:
- Hardware purchasing
- Storage and backup
- Disaster recovery and COOP capability
- Software and database purchasing/licensing
- C&A support for application owners
- Systems/database support
- Application virtualization services (transformation support)
Our engineers conduct testing and configuration management activities to ensure that user applications are ready from the start and they provide on-going support during operations long after the initial launch. HHS IT successfully meet all their business objectives with no outstanding concerns.